National Coaching Certification Program
Become a Coach
Are you thinking about coaching for the first time?
- Read more about The Basics of coaching.
- Learn to run your first practice with Get Coaching!, the Coaching Association of Canada's free online tutorial!
- Identify which NCCP and water polo specific coaching requirements you must complete.
- Start your water polo coaching journey.
The National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) has workshops for all types of coaches - whether you’re thinking about coaching your child’s community team or you’re already the head coach of a national team. The NCCP is here to help you be the best coach that you can be. When you take an NCCP clinic, you’ll gain water polo technical abilities as well as leadership and decision-making skills. NCCP training will open doors to new opportunities in coaching and in life.
WPC NCCP Pathways
Maintenance of Certification
Water Polo Canada and the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) recognize the value of having certified NCCP coaches that are engaged in Professional Development programs which reinforce the values of lifelong learning and sharing amongst the coaching community.
In order for NCCP coaches to maintain their certified status, they are required to earn Professional Development (PD) points.
1) Who needs to obtain PD points?
Only coaches who are Competitive Coach "Certified" and Advanced Competitive Coach "Certified" need to maintain their certified status.
2) How many points are required to maintain a coach's certification?
The number of PD points required to maintain a coach's certification is 16. Water Polo Canada provides its coaches with a 4-year period to collect their PD points. The maintenance of certification period begins January 1 after a coach achieves certified status in the Competitive Coach or Advanced Competitive Coach contexts. For example, a coach who becomes certified in November will have their four (4) year maintenance of certification period begin January 1 of the following year.
3) How can coaches accumulate PD points?
PD points can be earned through a multitude of activities that coaches already participate in, including:
- National and provincial sport organization conferences and workshops eLearning modules
- NCCP workshops (Click here for a list of upcoming workshops)
- Coach mentorship programs
- Active coaching
4) How do coaches keep track of how many PD points they have?
PD points are kept track of in each coach’s transcript in The Locker.
Use the links below or visit the CAC website
for more information about professional development and maintenance of certification